Monday, August 4, 2008
Fight Blight--Request a Free Tree From the City of Oakland
CITY OF OAKLAND FREE TREE PLANTINGS
If you would like to have a tree planted for free in front of your house or apartment building (in the "planter strip" portion of the sidewalk), fill out the City of Oakland Tree Planting form. Your property owner or apartment manager's signature is required.
The City will:
* Inspect your property for a qualified location
* Cut open the sidewalk and remove the concrete
* Backfill the tree well after cutting
* Select an appropriate tree species (you can help choose the species)
* Install a free 15 gallon tree
* Classify the tree as "Official" and provide the necessary future maintenance
You must commit to:
* Watering the tree for three years (when it does not rain often enough)
* Keeping the tree well free of weeds and litter
* Keeping wood chips or mulch on the soil around the tree
See the City of Oakland Tree Planting Program below for more information and a Tree Planting Form.